Re: (TFT) Melee content in early Space Gamer issues

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:16, <pvk@oz.net> wrote:

> Yeah, those articles sound very interesting!

I managed to locate Space Gamer #041, which is not "old" TFT. But, anyway,
there's an article by Jim Dickey, 'Tips for TFT Players', which starts off
with "The following is a list of hints based on almost three years of TFT
play. I hope that this article will inspire some of you other players to
write in and share your experiences."

Points 1-4 are discussed, but I found #2 to be the most interesting, albeit
mostly obvious. (1 is about not having a low dex, 3 is about specializing
characters, and 4 is about cost-effectiveness of talents and spells).

I quote #2 below. I can see how Space Gamer was not so deeply valuable for
insight, but rather a way to do marketing.

"2.  Don't overlook the value of pole weapons.

"I don't know if it's just the people I play with, but in my experience
beginning players tend to overvalue missile weapons at the expense of pole
weapons. Due to the close-quarters type of fighting most prevalent in TFT,
bowmen usually get off a shot or two and then get sliced up by an adjacent
figure while trying to draw a new weapon. If this happens to you, try
screening your missile weapon users with pole arm wielders. The +2 DX for a
set pole weapon, and the double damage bonus for a charge attack, make pole
arms devastating weapons. The Advanced Melee  rules, with two7hex jabs, and
pole arm attacks coming off first, make them even more effective.

"The next time your group of adventurers takes on a giant or a dragon, try
to get somebody with a pole weapon around behind it. The +2 or +4 DX and the
double damage bonus will usually bring a quick end to your adversary."

--
Cris Fuhrman, http://www.google.com/profiles/fuhrmanator
Ogden Nash <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/ogden_nash.html>  -