Re: (TFT) Do certain actions delay your turn? (regarding adjDX)

I always used dynamic action order too. In fact the Mele game program I wrote (haven't worked on it for a while though) handles that...I thought it was pretty spiffy!

Lloyd

On Aug 6, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu> wrote:

At 8:20 -0400 8/6/09, TFT Digest wrote:
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 21:27:21 -0400
From: Cris Fuhrman <fuhrmanator@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Do certain actions delay your turn? (regarding adjDX)

On the wiki page at
http://tft.brainiac.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Rules.DXadjustments, I suggested
looking at DX adjustments as either "general" (for determining action order)
or "targeting" (for affecting to-hit). Here's how I'd rule each of the
points below:

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 22:14, Jim Zmrazek <jzmra@hotmail.com> wrote:

1)  Attacking figures in the sides or rear.

Purely targeting - doesn't affect action order.

Arguments in favor of static turn order made sense to me, so I went back and checked.

AM pp 3 (4) ACTIONS:

...Figures act in the order of their adjDX, highest first; ties are resolved by die roll. NOTE: many times a figure's DX will change during the course of a turn, due to spells or wounds. After the figure with the highest DX acts, the figure which goes next is the one (of those which have not acted that turn) with the highest adjDX AT THAT MOMENT ((caps in original)). If a figure's DX is magically increased to a number higher than that of a figure who as already acted that turn, he does not miss his turn - he is the next to act. Always roll a die when two figure have the same adjDX.

AM pp 6:
   During the action phase of the turn, figures act in order of their adjusted DX, with the highest adjusted DX going first. DX is affected by many things, including the position of the enemy you are attacking ... so in a given position, a figure might have an adjusted DX of 8 when striking one foe, 10 if it attacked another instead, and 12 at yet another!

   I think this is why we always played the dynamic order.
   I agree completely about the load on the referee; we solved it by placing the burden on the players. The referee simply starts counting down in adjDX:

Ref: Anybody acting at or above DX 18? OK, 17, 16, 15 ...
Player #1: me! I shoot a light bow at 15!
Player #2: No, me! I jab #1 with a spear at 15!
Player #3: No me! I hack with a hatchet at 15!
Ref: Hold on #2, aren't you counting +2 set vs. charge?
Player #2: Oh yeah... I'm 13.
Ref: OK, #1 and #3, roll to see who acts first.
Player #2: But I could have set vs. #4, and gone first of all!
Ref: Sorry, you delayed that action until now.
   You can roll a die against #1 and #3 to see who goes first if you still
   want to set, else wait for adjDX 13.

   It's pretty easy for the referee this way. Players acting at a different adjDX than the number they are rolling against are obvious, and can be caught immediately. The target is usually watching the adjDX calculation pretty carefully, so there's at least something of a double-check on the player. Anybody who goofs and goes at too low an adjDX just "delayed their action"; as a courtesy, players entitled to an early action should say so when their adjDX is called out, then say they are delaying.
--
                       - Mark     210-379-4635