Re: (TFT) D&D Heroscape

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 13:37, Jens Alfke <jens@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2009, at 9:05 AM, slid81554@mypacks.net wrote:
>
>  Remember, D&D is a gateway game, much  like a Daisy BB gun.
>> It's popular and it gives you a taste of a whole hobby you might never
>> have been exposed to before.
>>

> The weird thing is how D&D can be a gateway game when its rules are so damn
> complicated!

My "gateway" exposure to D&D was with some guys from another school who only
had the 2e Player's Handbook and DM guide, on a bus going to a basketball
tournament in Jr. High (8th or 9th grade?). There was very little
bookkeeping/rule-checking as I recall, but lots of role playing and dialog.
We were mere observers, and were charmed by the odd-shaped dice, the spells
from "madge accusers" (LOL I had no idea they were actually saying
"magic-user" until I bought my own Player's Handbook), the monsters, etc.

Interestingly, a few weeks/months later, another friend exposed me to Melee
with 3d6 and 2 lead figures. I was "hooked" by the combat strategy aspect.
But I always found the artwork in the D&D books to be superior, especially
the Monster Manual. We often played TFT ITL campaigns converted from D&D
modules, as there was a whole lot more fun content from that market (or so
it seemed).

--
Cris Fuhrman, http://www.google.com/profiles/fuhrmanator
Sent from Mont-Royal, QC, Canada