Re: (TFT) D&D Heroscape

Consider "Magic Fist" and "Bigby's Clenched Fist."  To me (as an 11
year old who read both spells descriptions within a few months of each
other) "Magic Fist" seemed kind of bland, whereas "Bigby's Clenched
Fist" A) made we wonder "Who is this Bigby?", "why the obsession with
hands?" and B) the rather more elaborate description of the spell's
effects made it feel more thought out.  I am not questioning the
game-balance or the usefullness of the two - the melee version is
superior in both aspects.  It's really a matter of why, as a kid, I
found the latter to be more engaging.

I think that Gygax et al were aware of this, which is why they churned
out novels and cartoons marketed to pubescent kids, and that became
their biggest market for quite some time (at least, that's the way it
seemed).  As the kids got older and explored new, more balanced and
better thought out games, they moved on, but I think the initial
"what's this all about?" reaction is why DnD is still considered a
"gateway" RPG.