Re: (TFT) Opine y'all

Why is a Dagger slower than a Fist?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay Carlisle" <Maou_Tsaou1@netzero.net>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 6:28 PM
Subject: (TFT) Opine y'all

Weapon / Length - Space Required - Speed Factor

Axe, Battle / c.4' - SR 4' - SF 7

Axe, Hand / c.1.5' - SR 1' - SF 4

Bardiche / c.5' - SR 5' - SF9

Bec de Corbin / c.6' - SR 6' - SF 9

Bill-Guisarme / 8'+ - SR 2' - SF 10
includes Scorpion

Bo Stick / c.5' - SR 3' - SF 3

Club / c.3' - SR 1'-3' - SF 4

Dagger / c.15" - SR 1' - SF 2

Fauchard (svc) / 8' - SR 2' - SF 8

Fauchard-Fork (scv) / 8' - SR 2' - SF 8

Fist or Open Hand / 2'+ - SR _ - SF 1

Flail, Footman's / c.4' - SR 6' - SF 7

Flail, Horseman's / c.2' - SR 4' - SF 6

Fork, Military (scv) / 7'+ - SR 1' - SF 7

Glaive / 8'+ - SR 1' - SF 8

Glaive-Guisarme (svc) / 8'+ - SR 1' - SF 9
includes Couteaux de Breche

Guisarme (svc) / 6'+ - SR 2' - SF 8
includes Bill/Bill Hook

Guisarme-Voulge (svc) 7'+ - SR 2' - SF 10
includes Lochaber Axe

Halberd / 5'+ - SR 5' - SF 9

Hammer, Lucern (svc) / 5'+ - SR 5' - SF 9

Hammer / c.1.5' - SR 2' - SF 4

Jo Stick / c.3' - SR 2' - SF 2

Lance (heavy horse) / c.14' - SR 1' - SF 8

Lance (light horse) / 10' - SR 1' - SF 7

Lance (medium horse) / 12' - SR 1' - SF 6

Mace, Footman's / c.2.5' - SR 4' - SF 7

Mace, Horseman's / c.1.5' - SR 2' - SF 6

Morning Star / c.4' - SR 5' - SF 7
includes Godentag and Holy Water Sprinkler

Partisan / 7'+ - SR 3' - SF 9
includes Bohemian Ear-Spoon

Pick, Military, Footman's / c.4' - SR 4' - SF 7

Pick, Military, Horseman's / c.2' - SR 2' - SF 5

Pike, awl / 18'+ - SR 1' - SF 13

Ranseur (svc) / 8'+ - SR 1' - SF 8
disarm hit @ AC/8
includes Chauves Souris, Ransom, Rhonca, Rancie, Runka

Scimitar / c.3' - SR 2' - SF 4
includes Cutlass, Sabre, Sickle-sword, Tulwar, etc.

Spear / 5'-13'+ - SR 1' - SF 6-8

Spetum / 8'+ - 1' - SF 8
disarm hit @ AC/8
includes Corseque, Korseke

Staff, quarter / 6'-8' - SR 3' - SF 4

Sword, bastard / c.4.5' - SR 4'+ - SF 6
equal to Sword, long one-handed

Sword, long / c.3.5' - SR 3' - SF 5

Sword, short / c.2' - SR 1' - SF 3
includes all pointed cutting & thrusting weapons with blade length between 15" and 24"

Sword, two-handed / c.6' - SR 6' - SF 10

Trident / 4'-8' - SR 1' - SF 6-8

Voulge / 8'+ - SR 2' - SF 10

Traveller
AP's in Traveller = END + DX (average 15AP [Stats min/max = 2/15] breaking each 15sec turn into

"phases")

a Figure in Traveller moves forward @ 1 square per AP or runs forward 3 squares for each 2 AP's

@ 1.5m per square

a Figure in Traveller can make a "snap" attack for 4 AP's and a aimed attack for 8 AP's (heavy

weapons add 50% more AP's for attacks)

Traveller = 15sec turns

The Fantasy Trip
MA in TFT = 10 hexes for human Figures (12 hexes w/Running) @ 1.3m per hex

a Figure in TFT may choose 1 Action per turn for which it meets the requirements to perform,

i.e. a Figure may only "Dodge" if it is Disengaged and has moved half its MA or less. (there is

a limited "phase" system for Missle Weapons)

TFT = 5sec turns

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
AD&D uses inches @ 1" per 10' w/movement given as inches per 10min turn w/known routes @ x5 rate

and top speed (party fleeing) @ x10 rate (men move 12")

a Figure in AD&D has one strike opportunity per minunet @ 1st level with additional attacks per

round earned w/levels, spells, etc.

AD&D runs 10min turns w/1min melee rounds and 6sec segments (basicly 10 "phases" per melee

round)

Weights are poorly given. The first weapon on the AD&D list above serves as an example. AD&D lists the Battle Axe as a coin weight of 75gp. Wikipedia's Battle Axe page lists the

historical weight as 0.5 to 3kg. At 3000g / 75 we have a coin-weight of 40g per coin, not the

end of the world until they give an arrow 2 coins weight or 80g or 2.82oz or 1,234.58867 grains.

This is well on the heavy side of both historical coinage (1 drachma ~4.3g and was about 1

skilled worker or 2 unskilled workers pay for a days work) and the figure I pull for the rough

average weight of 400 grains or just under 26g.
On the other hand, TFT lists a Battle Axe @ 10kg or a whopping 22 pounds. That's a Maul, not a

Battle Axe.
Traveller dosen't list a Battle Axe in book2 but it gives a weight of 2.5kg for a Halberd

compaired to TFT's 8kg and AD&D's 7kg by 175 40g coins. Several quick web searches suggest that

a 15th century (before pollaxes, glaves, etc.) Swiss Halberd was about 4.5 lbs or about 2kg. Traveller is in the ballpark for weapon weight here, but buy 10 tons of Halberds (about 3630)

Traveller's ship combat suggests that 1 hit from a "weapon" will destroy 10 tons of fuel which

is 40 cubic T-squares of liquid helium, or 10 tons of cargo, or 3630 Halberds. 40 cubic T-squares is a bit over a cube 5 T-squares by 5 T-sq by 5 T-sq, or 2 T-Halberds long

per side. Seeing as I can order 84" ash shafts @ ~ 1 & 1/8" d over the net I'll call a shaft

0.03m and say that I can cover the floor 5m by 5m with 333 T-Halberds, or just under a ton. This

suggest that it would take at least 11 layers of T-Halberds to make 10 tons which comes in at

~0.33m or a third of a meter in height. It seems I can fit 150 tons of T-Halberds in the same

amount of space that I can fit 10 tons of liquid H, or 40 cubic T-squares take 1 hit if filled

with liquid H and can take 15 hits if filled with Halberds... This does make some sense but gets

out of hand rather quickly. Consider fuel tanks that might deal with liquid H, water, or

neutronium (an obvious application of grav-tec assuming super-stable liquid metallic H or

neutronium). The T-squares don't change but the densitys sure do (not true said Lorentz but I'm

trying to play a game here, not get a phd).

I got an ipod touch for x-mass. I almost waited a whole week before jail breaking her but now I

am running full blown pak1.pak w/mods Quake and have put Death Test into a Safari based app

using Adventure Maker, etc.
Reguardless, I have several apps that test reaction time, sortta like the reaction dial I

described in a previous post.
Even SJ went with 2 shots per turn, 1 shot per 2 turns, 1 shot per 3 turns for missle fire.

I suggest going with phases that are at LEAST 50 times (50x TFT, 60x AD&D, 150x Traveller)

shorter than the current turn in TFT. Everything I've studied about the measurment of human

motion suggests that this is the propper scale for following specific pov actions.

Hundreths of a second is action time... "everything just kind of slowed down..."

So I've been useing a rough phase system for TFT based off of the idea of Travellers DX + END

but useing 5 seconds / (2 seconds / DX + 1 second / IQ)

I'm thinking of useing the Speed Factor off of the AD&D PH data but I'm curious as to what

obvious errors stand out to readers of this group?
Any thoughts?