(TFT) Re: challenge-response spam filtering and mailing lists

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:31, Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com> wrote:

> I've never found anyone who actually thought this was a good idea.
> Sorry, George, but the answer lies in better spam filters and greylisting
> (at least IMO).

There is a strong consensus that says the challenge-response spam filtering
creates more problems than it solves. However, I do understand that from the
perspective of the person paying for the service (who does not get any
spam), it looks like a good solution.

There is a good description of why it works badly if you're on a mailing
list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge-response_spam_filtering#Interaction_with_mailing_lists_or_other_automated_mailers

Personally, I've never seen the challenges when I use the TFT list, but I
suspect Gmail is smart enough to treat them as junk.

--
Cris Fuhrman, http://www.google.com/profiles/fuhrmanator
Samuel Goldwyn<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html>