Re: (TFT) back from the olympics

At 19:19 -0500 3/8/10, Jay wrote:
In these type games, traditionally there is at least one or two "critters"
that it is considered a-okay to dispatch at will.
Without digressing too far into the details (as is my want) I'm pointing out
the psyche diff of the whole deal.
Base the whole thing on killing, and killing is what you get... give a few
more "PLAYABLE" options that have rule support and you as a game-master may
find that you have to create a "Dark Lord" to spur the players into
defending against such an a-hole...

Trying to catch up on all sorts of things, sorry for the delayed response. One of the reasons I like TFT is that it *does* supply non-lethal options. Several spells (Freeze, Sleep, Drop Weapon, Avert....), "Subduing Blows", and potions and magic items all enable you to overcome your opponents in such a way as to leave them able to learn from the experience. When I'm playing with the kids, I pretty much *insist* on that behavior from them when they have a chance, and when I'm refereeing, well, I make it clear that if they take a kill-or-be-killed mindset to the world, they might well not end up being at the top of the food chain. That seems to help a lot with getting the spousal unit interested in the game, and it presents more and more interesting challenges to the kids than a simple "hack them before they hack you" approach would.
	Healthier than video games that way too, IMHO.
This connects to the "do we have the moral high ground" discussion I allotted in my "ideal gaming session" timeline a few posts back, too.
--
						- Mark     210-379-4635