---------- Original Message ----------
From: Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu>

	Trying to catch up on all sorts of things, sorry for the
delayed response.
	One of the reasons I like TFT is that it *does* supply
non-lethal options. Several spells (Freeze, Sleep, Drop Weapon,
Avert....), "Subduing Blows", and potions and magic items all enable
you to overcome your opponents in such a way as to leave them able to
learn from the experience.
	When I'm playing with the kids, I pretty much *insist* on
that behavior from them when they have a chance, and when I'm
refereeing, well, I make it clear that if they take a
kill-or-be-killed mindset to the world, they might well not end up
being at the top of the food chain. That seems to help a lot with
getting the spousal unit interested in the game, and it presents more
and more interesting challenges to the kids than a simple "hack them
before they hack you" approach would.
	Healthier than video games that way too, IMHO.
	This connects to the "do we have the moral high ground"
discussion I allotted in my "ideal gaming session" timeline a few
posts back, too.