Re: (TFT) Personality Facets

----- Original Message ----- From: "Todd Archer"

Oh, yes; something like pg. 7 would work for someone who has absolutely no clue about what to do for a personality.

Sorry for the delay guys... no internet for a few days over this way.

IMHO

The role-play in RPG's implies acting.

"Good And Evil: Basically stated, the tenets of good are human rights, or in
the case of AD&D, creature rights. Each creature is entitled to life, relative
freedom, and the prospect of happiness."

"NEUTRALITY: Absolute, or true, neutral creatures view everything which
exists as an integral, necessary part or function of the entire cosmos. Each
thing exists as a part of the whole, one as a check or balance to the other,
with life necessary for death, happiness for suffering, good for evil, order
far chaos, and vice versa."

Why make these rules at all if we are playing "make believe"?

I think the roots came from trying to take minature wargame rules ment for open field battles and apply them to seiges. A heroic knight leader could play a pivitol role, but as a battle secenario you can't have Wellington look at the French infantry and think rationally... it's just not historic.

So if a player wants to have a Figure that has access to "priestly" or guild spells, they are going to have to act like a priest of the controling religion... a kamakazi pilot dosen't get to think rationally when it's convenient.

The fame,fortune,happiness junk is an attempt at 'motivation' via how a Figure gets its exp pts.
A Figure judges it's oppertunities to gain exp pts by these weights.
Killing a dragon in front of many witnesses weights toward fame, Smaug weights toward fortune, a 'dragon slayer' probably gets happiness...

It's odd, but I can hand a 'player' a Figure weighted in this fassion and it seems to help inform them on how the Figure should be played even if its creator isn't on hand to play that session. In other words, I'm trying for something that is a bit more functional than restrictive.

Some of the wheeles of downtime are beyond a statistical-Figures control at low levels of tec in an open campaign.

Number Ten Ox and Master Li had to preform an epic quest to heal a village like Bendwyn from the results of an unscruplious play to concentraite the circulating currency of the village in the hands of two men for purposes of fortune.

I think I have a dynamic going... =====