(TFT) Re: Heat and temperature

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Tapley"

At 9:33 -0400 5/7/10, Jay wrote:
The idea is that a Wizard can crank up the volume so to speak and create
hotter flames via larger expendatures of fST.

Don't confuse heat and temperature. Temperature measures average
kinetic energy of molecules moving around in a sample - but the
sample can be arbitrarily small. Heat is more like the product of
temperature and mass.

Take a piece of aluminum foil and a cast-iron skillet in the oven at
600C. You can pick up the foil - it *was* at 600 C, but it's so light
that it can't transfer enough heat to your hand to damage you before
it cools down.

Don't pick up the cast-iron skillet. Lots more mass, lots more heat,
definitely can damage you.

yeah...
I'd had some notion of this;
"Fire has a time factor to its effects but for now this seems to be in the
ballpark as far as damage is concerned."
but you put the nuts and bolts of it so well.
As George said;
"I kind of wish that it was explained to me this way a quarter of a century
ago, when I was struggling with thermo & physics."

uhhhh.... I'll let you "finish" before I start to ramble.

This is a lot like the speed vs. momentum discussion a few days back.
One atom at high speed = high temperature, but not much heat. A
locomotive at high speed = high temperature, lots of mass, lots of
heat -> dangerous.

So the wizard will have to crank up the volume *twice* - once to get
higher temperature, then again to get it over a larger mass (and
really, it's the *product* of the two that he should have to spend) -
at least if magic converts linearly to measurable heat energy.

Yeah... I'm the classic example of the confusion between power and energy.

Back to square hexes, there are 16 quarter-inch graphpaper squares per hex
with each square being roughly 1 square foot (13" by 13" actually but
arguments about where in a hex something happend, etc. indicate a reduction
in scale).
1 cubic foot of air is VERY roughly 0.075 lbs or a little more than an ounce
per square which is approaching 5 lbs of air per cubic square hex.
(I don't wanna have the height above sea-level, temprature, humidity, etc.
argument here... I know, and it's all got a lot to do with weather)
There's a little something something mass-wise to work with... not that air
is dyanimite.
Roughly 2 million joules per pound of TNT so ~150,000 joules in 0.075 lbs of
TNT.
Arrhenius law ought to keep me in the ballpark huh?
I'd figure Creation spells handle additional mass requirments.

I have three "types" of ST currently.

ST is the amount of energy available to a well rested, fed and healthy Figure.
fST is the rate at which the Figure spends its energy... power nie?

I also use a figure called pST for 'passive' ST.
pST is used to rate the physical toughness of an object or material.
1pt pST is sufficent to withstand 1 ST of force.
A material can be described with differing pST values for diffrent applications of force... uhhhhh, an egg could be described as pST 0 in most situations but it's compresive pST end to end could easily be something like pST20. hand weapons are simple machines that modify and shape force... I use the old Calvin and Hobbes cartoon where his dad explains the speeds of two points on a record as an example of modification and I use the flexable, visable, scale-man with scaled weapon counters to count how many scale-squares (3.25" about the size of the palm of your hand) the force is distributed across with a baseball bat/club doing area damage to those squares while a swordedge puts that force on a line (a foil puts it on a point).
Better materials can recieve mods based on quality.
The Yew of Lothlorien woods might be 33% (+2) better than that of commonly occuring Yew... (English Yew from around the chalke cliffs gets +1 (~17%)

uggggghhhhh busy today and the more I write on keyboard the more I tend to start in the middle and end with the beginning.

I ended up looking up some stuff on cosmology... I just couldn't leave well enough alone.
DOAH! I'd managed to skip the dark energy bit...

JWST has 18 hexagonal-shaped mirror segments 1.3 meters (4.26 feet) in
diameter.

do all blackholes point "down"?
~14 billion years in lightyears...
2000 - 8000 m/s is a rough range for explosive velocitys...
~9,500,000,000,000 km per year
1 year = 31 556 926 seconds
~300,000,000 m/s for light ~100,000 times the speed of a 3000 m/s
explosion...
are photons fractal?
are quanta a result of the "scale" at which we exist?
if I set off a "firecracker" in my basement with "Clarke-magical" highspeed
cameras in a spherical arangement around it and set the thing off and filmed
the whole thing I wonder what it'd look like for the "little people" living
inside the "firecracker" at a scale below ~10^-42m... just under Planck....
tritum has a half-life of 12 years... (that's thermo-nuke DON'T put it in the basement) particle correspondence is the "firecrackers" shape, so it's a sphere w/Baryon asymmetry to start with... how
long did Gluth want inflation to take? that timelength might be the
radius...
expanding gas pushes air outta the way leaving vacuume (for now) and the gas
is pretty "dark"
12 years is 378,683,112 seconds roughly
6ft is ~1.8m or 0.0018km
28 billion lt yrs multiplied by 9.5 trillion km is roughly the diameter of
the observable universe in km's (2.66e+23) : 0.0018 km
the photons from gods basement are too big for them too see...
"the gravitational constant is dimensionally and numerically equal to the cube of the Planck length divided by the Planck mass and by the square of Planck time"

ain't this a shame? a universe that's way too fast-small for its god too ever see... Iron looks like a plug in the drain; no wonder Wizards hate the stuff... who cares what you can build with it? 'ceptin the Engineers... =====