  From: Jay Carlisle<mailto:Maou_Tsaou@charter.net>
  To: tft@brainiac.com<mailto:tft@brainiac.com>
  Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:22 PM
  Subject: Re: (TFT) RE: Heat and temperature

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Mark Tapley"

  > At 16:26 -0400 5/8/10, Jay wrote:
  >>1 cubic foot of air is VERY roughly 0.075 lbs or a little more than an
  >>ounce
  >>per square which is approaching 5 lbs of air per cubic square hex.
  >
  > Wikipedia says approximately 1.2 kg/m^3 (sea level, 20C, yeah, yeah,
  > OK). Not sure I got my conversions right, but if I did, I agree on
  > the 0.075 lbs/cu.ft. .

  LOL!
  I KNOW HUH?
  Then you start trying to corolate with old-school gaming systems that the
  designers NEVER had the access to information that we have now and you can
  get into a real whirl!

  > How big is a "cubic square hex"? How tall is a hex?

  Hee hee hee!
  I drew it this way for a reason.
  1 square hex = 1.3m by 1.3m by 1.3m
  The height on Joe Average (hero @ 6' i.e. average PC Figure) comes up to his
  nipple-line porportionally.
  That is 6 of the Figures 8 heads in porportional height.
  Body relative, Giants and Halflings fit into these same "lego-blocks"

  > If your 16 one-foot squares equate to one hex, that's about 1.219
  > meters x 1.219 meters. I'll somewhat arbitrarily say 3 meters tall
  > (just under 10 feet, one floor in a building ?) so each hex is 4.459
  > m^3, containing 5.35 kg of air, or about 11.78 lbs.
  >
  > I'm afraid you may be working with fairly low ceilings, if there's
  > only 5 lbs. of air in a hex.

  Yeppers, nipple-line.
  I figure cubic square hex *2 is ~8.5' and 3 is ~12.75' that a storie is like
  2.5 Melee hex-heights?

  > At 16:26 -0400 5/8/10, Jay wrote:
  >>ST is the amount of energy available to a well rested, fed and healthy
  >>Figure.
  >>fST is the rate at which the Figure spends its energy... power nie?
  >>
  >>I also use a figure called pST for 'passive' ST.
  >
  > OK on ST - means how much work a figure can put out before it *has*
  > to eat or die. This would be a little flexible - I think the body can
  > convert muscles, etc. after all the carbs and fat runs out - but it's
  > not a good thing for the person involved.

  Thanks for this discussion.
  I'd like to represent this for "counting" like this.
  I note than when reading estimations of "work done" (a shady figure at best)
  averages seem to come in at a western style at about 55 "pounds" moved from
  primary location to some gathering point per hour of work over the course of
  the 'modern' 8hr workday (~440 lbs production... less than a quarter ton).
  IMO
  Basic Figure ST is the energy resources a Figure can expect to focus
  assuming it's being properly maintained.
  I'd call this aerobic ST.

  > fST I think is *way* trickier. I think of fST as more like Oxygen
  > deficit - work hard for a few minutes, take a several minute breather
  > to re-saturate oxygen in your muscles, do it again.

  Yeeeeesssssss?

  > I think it doesn't even relate linearly to power, unfortunately,
  > because the body more or less works on two cycles - anaerobic and
  > aerobic. Aerobic work, you can keep up all day - the Tour de France
  > guys can put out about 0.25 kW for hours on end that way. That digs
  > into their ST, no doubt, and they have to eat like horses at the end
  > of the day to replace all the calories - but they are not showing
  > oxygen debt during it ....

  A "days" work via "downtime"

  > ... *except* during the sprints. When you exceed your aerobic
  > threshold, you start switching to anaerobic metabolism. That, you
  > cannot maintain for long, but you can get higher power levels. Maybe
  > up to 0.4 kW or so? But there's a price - you lower your oxygen
  > saturation, waste products build up, and you basically *have* to quit
  > before long. Recovery takes a long time for this. I suspect most
  > melee combats are fought with the participants deep into this
  > anaerobic cycle, and therefore the fST really is an appropriate
  > measure of endurance for this.

  Do you remember my stuff about heartrates?

  > Dunno why magic takes anaerobic metabolism, but I'm sort of pushed
  > toward this conclusion.

  Even a big shock can get your heartrate up to heavy-exercise levels.
  Call of Cthulhu, horror stuff here.

  > Passive ST, agreed mostly but you have some tough eggs if they are
  > good for 20 pST in any direction.

  Roc eggs?

  lol

  I just went and tried that and it didn't work at all.
  I got egg allover my hoodie.
  Damnit!
  =====
  Post to the entire list by writing to