Re: (TFT) What does +1 mean... exactally?!?

--------------From: "Jay Carlisle" --------------------
Thanks for the thoughts.
I feel that there are a few things that can be "designed" to help keep
weirdness like this on a beforehand basis rather than showing up as an issue
when it matters, i.e. in the middle of gameplay.

True, but I don't see it as a big issue to resolve as it comes up.

And my point about us likeig to talk, and my black iron example, is that we do get this sort of thing cleared up ahead of time, just organically through BSing.  Like I can tell you precisely what the piping on the dwarvish bard's custom armor is made of, because the player has described it in loving detail.

------------More Jay --------------------------------
Much better perhaps is to say from the get-go that "Sting" gets her magical
properties via a magical aura enveloping the blade that glows a shimmering
blue when enemies are about (maybe a 5MH rad? but you don't have to tell the
players all the information w/o them "testing" stuff); otherwise the blade
is simply a well made elvish long-knife.

Nothing wrong with that description, and it probably goes great in your game, and for "Sting".  But for generic +1 shortswords, that description is not for me.

Okay, Fe in an element.
I think you mean steal?
Or are you talking refining methods?

No, I am talking different ores.  FE is an element (here on earth), but where we play  Iron is what gets refined from iron ore, Black iron is what gets refined from black iron ore.  There is also mithril and starmetal in the game as well.

To be clear, I'm not saying my way is better, just different.  It is better for me as a GM, since that is the way I run my games, but it seems pretty clear that it would not be as good for you.