Re: (TFT) What does +1 mean... exactally?!?

> The talking is what makes the creation work.  So the bits of the world
> the players care about get the shared creative attention, and the other
> bits don't.

Yes SIR! I agree!
And if the rules actually make that talking clearer to all the players then
that's a GOOD thing huh?

Well sure it is!
In theory.

I think the crux of the difference in our styles of play, is how helpful is helpful enough to play the game.
Or, where, precisely, is the line between being helpful and being insanely pedantic.

For me, that line lies somewhere near "flying by the seat of my pants, and making crap up".
For you it seems to be closer to "engineers with OCD require less detail and definition when building medical implants".  To each his own, I say.

But, lets say you get a TFT-like rule-set together, say 75 pages of rules, and then another 200 pages of definitions, to my mind, those definitions (if used, which does not seem too likely to me) would help ensure that 1 pt of ST meant the same thing in every game, and that the specific gravity of the stones in the wall of every castle is consistently well understood by players and GM alike, across all campaigns everywhere, and would allow for the whole thing to be turned into a computer program that spits out ongoing, internally consistent,  updates on the background world based on input parameters.

And if that is what you are going for, and I think it may be, then it will have been a success.  Especially if you enjoy creating it.

Which is great.  But I don't see how it would make anything more fun, at least as I define RPG-related fun.

I think the great variety of campaign worlds, is part of the beauty of our hobby.

The level of relative detail for Silver, iron, Black Iron, Mithril, and star-metal, is the level that I find fun.  Enough to describe them and get the collective creative juices flowing.  More details can always come out in play if that is where the game goes.  Otherwise, it is just a little imagination provoking background flavor.

Much like the Bard's "star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken"

The value, to me, of the thing is independent, and unrelated to the detailed exacting description of it.  And an exacting description does not always help make things better (see midichlorians) in a fantastic adventure.

However, it is not my project, it is yours, so I hope it works out well, and brings you joy.  And while I wont be using it, I am happy to discuss it, and ocassionally (very occasionally) contribute to it.

Regards,
John