Re: (TFT) TFT Industrial Revolution

Under certain circumstances, firearms are more capable than bows. Part of those circumstances involve ready access to ammunition. Bows are more capable, overall, than firearms when the industrial base is low. All you really need to make a bow is a knife, and the right types of plants in the area. This will allow you to make a crude bow effective enough to bring down a small mammal and a bird or two. Now you've made a technological leap to gut strings and feathered arrows. Even better if you have some flax-like plants around for strings. Under such circumstances, nearly everyone can have a bow. Forearms are more capable, overall, than bows when the industrial base is high. Guns can be manufactured en mass, as well as ammunition. Because, after all, a gun without bullets isn't even that good a club. But under such circumstances, nearly everyone can have a gun. But as soon as everyone can have a gun, nearly everyone forgets how to make bows. The same applies to magic. The sorts of things that are more capable when the base of magic is low is very differentr than when the base is high. I think that we tend to industrializew magic because we are products of the industrial revolution, and so we naturally try to bring economies of scale to any endeavor. I recall an old Shadowrun discussion that pretty much proved that their character generation system was crap, especially for charactersa who were former corporate employees. They wouldn't have been taought a large number of skills, but been insanely proficient in eactly the one skill they were paid for, since the training came from the corporation. This sort of thing in the milieu can have a very large effect on a campaign. In my campaign, magic has been extremely industrialized, but the industrialization has been kept out of the public eye. It's hard for someone between 20 and 80 to outwit a cabal of people who have been alive for centuries (potion of youth anyone?). It's a shame no once ever actually figured out that there was more to the Thorsz than met the eye. I really wanted the players to try to fgure out how to take on the magical-industrial complex. It certainly could have been done, but probably more through politics and the masses instead of a strong sword arm. One lesson I really wanted the players to learn was that temporal power is a much bigger multiplier than personal power. Your 20 DX doesn't matter when the other guy can send a hundred guys after you, or a single good lawyer. Anyway... So in order to balance forearms and bows, regular TFT seems to take the stance that the industrial base is low enough that the power of a firearm is offset by its unreliability, high cost, and rarity of skill and weapon, while the bows weakness is offset by its reliability, low cost, and availability of weapon and cost. If you want to see a time and place where archery and gunnery were approximately equal, look to the mid Sengoku in Japan. You had untis of archers, but also units of matchlock-bearing troops. The balance was that the gunners could get minimal training quickly, but the volley was required to get effect. The archers took more training, but each man was more effective.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com