Re: (TFT) slide rules

Here's where I got this afternoon before starting to worry about the universe in my workshop...

This is stuff for athletics in TFT.
I figure a calculator would be useful here.

ST can be read three different ways.

ST is a measure of force exerted.
1 point of ST = 5.5 foot pounds.
Physical Talents can modify a Figures base force representing use of proper technique, etc. Special materials, like gunpowder, are given a ST rating representing its inherent force under proper conditions.
165 foot pounds is a rough limit for base force.

fST (fatigue) is a measure of exertion required to create force.
An (exceptionally) rough measure of fatigue is a Figures ST in work per hour per point of fatigue. Joe Average can harvest. Move, etc. a minimum of about 55 lbs. per hour but this figure can be greatly augmented by situation and technology. A fast husker could harvest almost 100 bushels of corn per day with proper field layout and mechanical assistance.
A coal miner shovel loading coal worked about 16 tons a day.
I would expect both of these experienced workers to be operating with a ST greater than 10 as well as a Talent for the job. fST is generated at different rates depending on the Action involved, mainly determined by the amount of fast-twitch or slow-twitch muscle involved or the lack thereof when mental tasks are concerned.

pST (passive) is a measure of an objects resistance to force.
Materials are given pST relative to deformation and/or yield points, with separate pST's for separate stresses when necessary. As is the case with all other applications of stats Talents can modify a Figures pST, with physically fit Figures absorbing larger amounts of force than couch potatoes, and hard body trained Figures withstanding even more w/o long term effect. In general, a trained athlete can exert and absorb roughly 1000 pounds of force in a strong punch or tackle and roughly twice this force with a strong kick. With proper equipment and training an athlete can absorb roughly 2000 pounds force w/o serious injury. A punch of about 750 lbs. of force fractures an average persons rib about 25% of the time with a blow about half again as strong rotates the head over 43,000rpm in 1 second and k/o's roughly 25% of the time.

DX and IQ are factors of how quickly one can react and how fast the reaction is.

DX is a measure of the speed and accuracy of the movements necessary to perform an Action.
1 point of DX = 1 second / 1 pt DX = 1 second.
0.033 seconds is about the quickest base for human motion.

IQ is a measure of human(iod) reaction time.
1 point of IQ = 2 seconds / 1 pt IQ = 2 seconds.
In a number of situations an Action is a reaction to an earlier Action.
A Dodge or Parry is a reaction to an Attack for example.
A batter swinging at a baseball is reacting to a pitch.
0.066 seconds is a rough ceiling for reaction speed.

Joe Average bases
ST 10 = 55 ft. lbs.
DX 10 = 0.1 sec.
IQ 10 = 0.2 sec.
Reaction Time = 0.3 sec. ~16.6 Action moments in a 5 second turn.

Joe Athlete bases
ST 20 = 110 ft. lbs.
DX 20 = 0.05 sec.
IQ 20 = 0.1 sec.
Reaction Time = 0.15 sec. ~33.3 Action moments in a 5 second turn.

Joe Superhero bases
ST 30 = 165 ft. lbs.
DX 30 = 0.033 sec.
IQ 30 = 0.066 sec.
Reaction Time = 0.1 sec. ~50 Action moments in a 5 second turn.

100 mph = 146.6 fps is a very fast baseball pitch and moves 172 hexes in 1 turn. Joe Average takes about 10 and a third hexes to see and begin to react to such a pitch.
Joe Athlete needs about 5 hexes to do the same.
Joe Superhero needs a little less than three and a half hexes.
A pitcher's mound is a bit less than 14 hexes from home plate allowing for the pitcher's stride. 1000 fps = 681.82 mph (160 hexes per second or a little over 800 hexes per turn) is a rough average muzzle velocity for a black powder musket or approaching a maximum velocity for an English longbow arrow.
Modern rifles come in at roughly 2 to 3 times the fps at the muzzle.

This approach is the end for 5 second turns and damage recorded as points of ST. I don't pretend that this is a complete model, but it does work with adjustments given by Talents used to modify the base figures of the attributes.
I think it lends itself well to a calculator approach.