From: "Jay Carlisle" <Jay_Carlisle@charter.net>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:33:17 AM
Subject: Re: (TFT) TFT and the SCA in your front yard

----- Original Message -----
From: <raito@raito.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:39 PM

> Quoting PvK <pvk@oz.net>:
>> What's wrong with the interpretation that grappling while remaining
>> standing and
>> using a large weapon is represented by the Step and Attack maneuver?
>
> The size of hexes, mostly. You almost have to consider a figure as
> being located in the center of a hex, even though we sort of assume the
> figure can move around. But if you can move around, both figures would,
> and you'd still have 4 feet between an attacking and attacked figure. I
> don't think I can grapple someone 4 feet away. My arms aren't that
> long. Apparently, giant arms aren't either, as they can still only
> attack adjacent figures.
>
> But remember, I don't require that TFT be realistic, nor do I believe
> that it is. I've just been commenting on ways in which reality (mine
> anyway) is different.

Running

100 meters is just a hair under 77 hexes.
Assuming Running Talent a Figure in TFT requires 7 turns (under 35 seconds)
to complete the 100m sprint.
With the rules as given I would use Initiative rolls to determine winners.

Taking 30 ST as the rough limit for a realistic gameworld I use the
following.
ST to hp.
33,000 pounds moved 1 foot in 1 minuet is 1 horsepower.
33,000 lbs. 1 ft. per 1 minuet / 60 seconds = 550 lbs. 1 ft. per 1 second =
1 horsepower.
550 lbs. 1 ft. per 1 sec. / 1 ST (5.5 lbs. 1 ft. per 1 sec.) = 100 ST = 1
hp.

Wikipedia saysb&
bA healthy human can produce about 1.2 hp briefly (see orders of magnitude)
and sustain about 0.1 hp indefinitely; trained athletes can manage up to
about 2.5 hp briefly[6] and 0.3 hp for a period of several hours.b

In a huge rationalization(*) I use a Figurebs ST / 10 = max hp per 1 fST for
maximum and near max effort applied to Actions.
I call sustained effort over longer time durations Work and use ST / 100 =
max hp per 1 hour per 1 fST.

Example Figures are;
Joe Average b ST 10, DX 10, IQ 10
Joe Gimp b ST 5, DX 5, IQ 5
Joe Athlete b ST 20, DX 20, IQ 20
Joe Hero b ST 30, DX 30, IQ 30
All Joebs are 6b tall and weigh 165 lbs. with legs 39b long and equal
strides.
Over the course of 100 meters world class sprinters generally hit a top
speed around 50m and maintain that speed for 20 to 30 meters before
beginning to tail off.

I count 3 basic gaits when considering Figure MA.
All Joebs are assumed to start moving from a standing position with their
right foot.

Joe walks 3 hexes (from hex-center to hex-center) every 6 steps with each
step covering about 26b (2/3rds of total leg) and falling shoulder width
apart.
This has the right foot always falling on hex-sides right of center and the
left foot falling just left of hex centers.
This is 4 squares per full-step on Square-Battle Map hexes and 2.5 steps per
second to have the Figure 1 hex-center away with feet shoulder width apart.
The figures given for walking speeds of an average person seem to cover a
range from around 2.5 to 3.5 mph.
3 mph works out to just over 1.3m per sec.
Joe Average walks at 3mph. or 20 min. miles.

Joe jogs 3 hexes every 4 paces.
This gait has the right foot alternately landing one square behind, then one
square ahead of hex-center while the left foot alternates between hex-side
and hex-center.
This gait is about 50% longer per step as well as about 50% narrower in foot
placement than Joe Averagebs walking gait with roughly 3 steps per second.
At its widest arc both feet are briefly off the ground.
Joe Average starts a jogging gait at about 6mph or roughly 2 hexes per
second or 1 Battle Map (n/s) per 5 second turn.
This is roughly backed up by race-walking times for the 20k coming in just
above the 6mph mark.
After roughly this speed both feet start coming off the ground for short
moments.

Joe sprints 3 hexes every 3 paces.
The basic description of this gait is that each foot alternately lands on
the next hex-center along the path.
This is about 50% longer per step than Joe Averagebs jogging step and the
steps are roughly on a line with about 4 steps per second for Joe Average
with each step covering 8 squares or 2 hexes.
This is 4 hexes per second or about 12mph.
This has Joe Average sprinting 2 Battle Maps (n/s) every 5 second turn.

Assuming Joe Hero is three times as powerful as Joe Average and Joe Athlete
twice as powerful this suggests ;
Joe Gimp walks 0.5 hexes per second, jogs 1 hex per second, and runs 2 hexes
per second or 1 Battle Map per 5 second turn.
Joe Average walks 1 hps, jogs 2 hps, and runs 4hps.
Joe Athlete walks 2 hps, jogs 4 hps, and runs 8 hps.
Joe Hero walks 3 hps, jogs 6 hps, and runs 12 hps.

This has Joe Hero moving at almost 35 mph when running at top speeds.
Getting to top speed can help make things a foot race however.

Here is an interesting breakdown of an b88 race.
Ben Johnson had supplementation and Carl Lewis didnbt it seems.

Reaction Time 0.132 / 0.136
0 b 10m 1.83 / 1.89
10 b 20m 1.04 / 1.07
20 b 30m 0.93 / 0.94
30 b 40m 0.86 / 0.89
40 b 50m 0.84 / 0.86
50 b 60m 0.83 / 0.83
60 b 70m 0.84 / 0.85
70 b 80m 0.85 / 0.85
80 b 90m 0.87 / 0.86
90 b 100m 0.9 / 0.88
Time 9.79 / 9.92

In a comparison of recent world class records, results for both men and
women over the 60m sprint were about 2mph slower average speed than 100m
results while the average speed over the 200m was actually a bit faster.

This is where Talents fit in.
I make a clear distinction between Talents and Skills.
A Talent is an advantage when performing an Action that a Figure cannot
acquire through study or practice.
Many Athletes have measurable advantages.
The guy who studied Lance Armstrong pegged his heart size as about a third
larger than average.
He mentions one thousand american people have the same advantage, or about 1
in 300,000 to 350,000 (american) Figures.
The difference between quick power and sustained effort is loosely described
by the voluntary fast and slow twitch muscels.
Joe Average has a fast twitch / slow twitch voluntary muscle ratio of 50% /
50% while a Talent may adjust this ratio.

A Skill is an advantage in performing an Action that a Figure gains through
training, practice, or study.

A world class track and field type of 100m sprint between a field of 3 Joe
Average runners might be described as follows.

The following Talents and Skills apply.

Who want's too finish this?

* Ibve written this up where the origin of ALL universes were my poorly
considered experiment with hyper-slow explosions in my basement. If Ibm
willing to commit that literary ouroboros I figure that since my head is
already up there I may as well pull every little thing I can find outta me
nethers.
Games as an intellectual-colonic are second only to dreams.
How the lilb guys come up with THAT stuff Ibll never know.