From: "Jay Carlisle"
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: (TFT) notes somemore
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 02:37:17 -0700

Oddness from a day's research.
In competitive holstered pistol fast-draw events a 22" circular
target is missed roughly half the time from 21 feet away.
This is roughly 2 Scale-hex squares in diameter for the target from
about 5 hexes away.
I heard that on History Channel's "More Extreme Marksmen" programe.
Then when following Guy Fawkes and James II outta York I came upon
the following.

"(England) - The widow of a vintage shotgun expert had her
husband's ashes loaded into cartridges and used by friends for the
last shoot of the hunting season. Joanna Booth organized the shoot
for 20 friends after asking a cartridge company to mix the ashes of
her late husband James with traditional shot. A total of 275
12-bore cartridges were produced and blessed by a minister before
being used for hunting at an estate in England. Booth said it was a
marvelous day out and her husband would have loved it. "It was not
his dying wish, but I remembered he had read somewhere that someone
had had their ashes loaded into cartridges and he thought it was
very funny." The cartridges accounted for 70 partridges, 23
pheasants, seven ducks and a fox."

So Wikipedia says between 4 to 6 pounds of ground ashes from a cremation.

I have a rough mix of gunpowder calling for about 15% charcoal.
I'll call it a die mix w/16.6ish% charcoal for the percentage of a
given die face.

5.5 lbs of charcoal (1 pt of ST moves this mass 1 ft per second)
would make around 33 pounds of black powder assuming ground
cremation ash equals gunpowder charcoal.
Good black paint comes from bone ash.
Charcoal is a slow burn though. but I guess one could "instruct the
mortician" on oven temps and times.
Anyway, it seems a good load for target rounds today is about 17.5
grains for a eighth of an oz trap-round.
At 7000 grains per pound, 5.5 pounds makes about 13,000 rounds.
This suggests about 1300 rounds per animal taken in the "it was not
his dying wish." shoot.
However, the figure states 275 cartridges were made.
I'm off by an order of magnitude obviously (likely the charcoal)
but having chosen 5.5 pounds to pound home a point, it surprises me
to see the thing at around 50 times more shots for my 100%
conversion assumption. nothing says the widow converted ALL the
ashes into powder. if she only used 1 pound.

About six months to copy/write a Wycliffe bible with good materials
just before printing.

Chris Nicole
www.loran.karoo.net/