Re: (TFT) Weapon Skill Levels

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Skipper"

Trolling through old websites and such, I've found some advanced combat rules on Ty's old website with Talents that allowed expert weapon users to force the
opponent to roll extra dice to hit them.

While I suppose that if I were going to
limit Talents to only the character's IQ, then fair enough... you only have so
many skills and you've sacrificed a lot to get to that level of ability.

I take the number of IQ pts needed to learn a Talent as an indication of how many hours per day a Figure needs to devote to "staying in practice". I do allow Figures to Master and become Experts in a Talent and for ST based Talents a Master moves the statistical point cost over to ST as a part of muscel memory.

But, if you are allowing PCs to purchase multiple levels of skill with
weapons, like in the Legends system from Dark City Games, it seems like you
can be less generous.
So I was thinking about this.  Characters buy proficiency with a weapon
(group). they they spend more talent points into the weapon buying levels.
Now, like in Legends, you can choose to use these levels either as a + to
damage or to hit, and split them from round to round as you desire. But I was thinking to allow for some level of defensive skill, the levels could be used
defensively to subtract from the opponent's chance to hit.
Ragnar has +3 levels with his weapon. When he gets in a fight, on his turn,
he can split those levels how he wishes.  Perhaps he wants a +1 to hit,
damage, and a -1 to his chances of being hit. Or maybe he's facing several bad guys and he wants to fight full defense so he puts the levels in defense subtracting 3 from his opponent's Dex. Or, he has a foe on the ground and he
needs to end the fight now, so he jacks up his damage by 3 for that swing.
What do you think?

Interesting but how does one get one of these levels?
Related to that question, the way I see it hanging a -3.5 to hit on an opponent is a lot like makeing them roll another die. So having 3 or 4 levels like that in a weapon skill can work kindda like Ty describes maybe?

If weapon levels are a lot cheeper than a stat point then I'd look for special abilities like ways for players to spend big chuncks of levels on as manuvers or something like a sweeping blow that attacks 3 hexes with one Action for... call it 10 levels for 2 seperate Figures and +10 for each additional 3d6 att.