Re: (TFT) House Rules?

Now I feel that as a designer my role is to do all of that well before play
starts.
If I have designed well, I have given my GM self enough tools via NPC's and so
fourth to deal with player Actions in-play with the same Actions under the
rules that the players have access to.
Designing a rule "on the fly" as a GM is 'poor art' IMO.

Not that I want to get into a big debate, but I have to give my opinion on
this and I could not disagree more.  Improvisation is the one of the highest
forms of 'GM Art'.  You can never prepare for all eventualities (nor can any
rule system that is playable) and, IMO, you should not try.  You should be
fluid and adjust to what the players bring to the table and deal with the new
as it occurs, espeically when they think of things not covered by the rules or
the setting or whatever.

No fantasy setting is going to work exactly as our own world, so basing it
entirely on 'fact' is, to me at least, a lot of mispent effort.  Once you
start ignoring physics (like any game with giants and dragons does) and
chemistry (which alchemy does) and include magic, other planes, and life after
death... all bets are off. ;)

Suspension of disbelief only requires so much, and the rest fades into the
background.  At least that's been my experience over the last 27 years.  And
heck, I've played/ran tons of games where the players don't even want
versimilitude if it gets in the way of 'the awesome'.  They want the
book/movie experience, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.