Re: (TFT) High Level Play

That's close to my point of view, as well. I based my assumptions upon dark ages/feudal wargaming and kitting out "figures".

32-points you're a new recruit. That could be a paige if you're noble, or a yeoman or bondi type, if you're not. Basically, a paige at this level can't fight worth cr@p in armor. His best purpose on the battlefield is to protect the baggage or ride messages back and forth. A yeoman archer or pole weapon man, on the other hand, without any armor, is an effective force that en masse can take on knights. Village militia I still believe are based on 32-points (I don't accept the by the book definition of "normals" being 30-points). The difference with militia is that their points are spent on IQ instead of ST and DX. So they probably have at best an 11 ST, 11 DX with a 10 IQ for various professional skills. Warriors don't need professional skills. They fight and take what they want.

34-points is pretty much a veteran commoner or a squire. A character at this level can get away with wearing chainmail armor or riding a horse, but not really both. A squire in chain armor on horseback can fight, but not very well. If you allow the Missile talent, 34 point yeomen archers really start to dominate.

36-points is either a proper knight, man-at-arms, or huscarl (household guard). A knight in chainmail with lance and large shield on horseback can be very effective at this level, with an adjusted DX of 11. Norman types with kite/large shields are better protected at a cost to DX. Huscarls can wear chainmail and carry large shields and be really effective.

38-points is a knight banneret, in other words a leader of knights or man-at-arms. With the extra points in IQ the character can pick up some talents that help with leadership and initiative, and doesn't have to spend quite so much on dexterity because he can buy master horsemanship or whatever that talent is called. For Norse types this is more of a ship's captain.

40-points and above you start to get into the more lordly barons and such. These guys can afford to wear plate armor on horseback and still fight effectively. 13 ST, 16 DX, 11 IQ buys master horsemanship to eliminate mounted penalties and in full plate and small shield still gives a respectable AdjDX of 10. Those who can afford fine plate are even better.