Re: (TFT) A Point of Damage

I haven't seen Fudge, but here's a simple way to map Str to Light/Moderate/Severe Wounds in a way that makes healing both the weak and strong characters take roughly the same amount of time, and the damage done more relates to how strong the hit was compared to the character's toughness, as opposed to just being how strong was the hit, yet preserves the "effect" of hit points (St).

You have four Light wounds, three Moderate wounds, two Severe Wounds, and one Death wound
OOOOo Light
 OOOo Moderate (-1)
  OOo Severe   (-2)
   O  Death

Effect of single attack:
If you take 1 pt of damage, you take one Light wound.
If you take 1/6 Str damage rounded up, you take one Light and one Moderate wound. You are now at -1 to all actions.
If you take 1/3 Str damage rounded down, you take one Light, one Moderate and one Severe wound. You are now at -2 to all actions.
If you take Str damage, you're dead.

e.g.
A 12 pt character takes:
 a Light wound with 1 pt of damage
 a Moderate wound with 2 pts of damage
 a Severe wound with 4 pts of damage
 a Death wound with 12 pts of damage

A 60 pt dragon:
 a Light wound with 1 pt of damage
 a Moderate wound with 10 pts of damage
 a Severe wound with 20 pts of damage
 a Death wound with 60 pts of damage

Dragons are hard to kill.

Once you have taken four Light wounds, if you take a fifth Light wound, it becomes a Moderate wound. You can only do this once (the small o).
Once you have taken three Moderate wounds, if you take a fourth Moderate wound, it becomes a Severe wound. You can only do this once (the small o).
Once you have take two Severe wound, if you take a third Severe wound, you're dead.

You can "ping-pong" (i.e. if you have four Light wounds and you take a Moderate wound, since you would normally take a Light wound, that Light wound gets upgraded to another Medium wound. If this Medium wound would be your fourth Medium wound, it becomes a Severe wound. If this Severe wound would be your third Severe wound, you're dead.

No matter how hard you try, though, you can't beat a guy down point by point, since you can only "upgrade" damage once per severity.
In order to kill something, it must take, at a minimum, two Severe wounds, one Moderate Wound and two Light wounds, or two Severe Wounds and two Moderate wounds.

It takes one day to heal all Light wounds, one day per Moderate wound (after healing Light), and one week per Severe wound (after healing Moderate).

I think the math is pretty solid, but I could have made a mistake.

- Marc