Re: (TFT) Wizard mods - out of balance?

I feel I should point out that my comparison that fighting talents could be taken against DX rather than IQ, was not something I would suggest doing, unless one understood and wanted the balance consequences. It was meant to point out what would be lopsided about simply having wizards use IQ for their limit on spell use.

It would make wizards more powerful, and wizards are already powerful. Again, the GM can choose what he wants.

What seems less balanced and less interesting to me, about both the original idea (IQ be the limit for spell use) is that it removes a choice, makes for less variety in character designs, and you get several advantages for one flat cost that is the same as other things a player can do with character points, making it a lopsidedly good and obvious choice.

In contrast, a superscript system like Rick mentioned and David posted, has the advantages of adding choices, creating more variety in possible character designs, and it also charges something for the investment, which provides some balance and also a tradeoff for players to choose between.

So unless for some reason I actually wanted less variety in wizards, and lopsided balance, I would prefer a superscript system that breaks out the components of ST and IQ, and charges for them.

PvK