Re: (TFT) Wizard mods - out of balance?

I'm just surprised at how high level it seems other people's characters tend to get when I hear these complaints.... I always start at 32 points (as do my fellow adventurers or my 'victims,' if i'm the GM) and very rarely does anyone last beyond, perhaps, 45 points? And then they usually just retire.

But the whole Conan the Wizard (related to the whole Conan who has 23 IQ to have all those talents) I always found to be more of a hypothetical problem than something that actually comes up when you are actually trying to play as a wizard or a Conan like character.

Say you are a wizard.
At first, you'll probably focus on DX and IQ. I don't find anything WRONG with a higher ST wizard though, so if thats your path, thats your path, but then it DOES mean you're strong, and then there is nothing to worry about regarding being 'too strong,' you'll just be less intelligent and graceful with the magic. But, assuming you focus on DX and IQ, the chances of you getting to an ST that is really THAT high (say, starting around 14) for most people is not going to happen very quickly. By the time you COULD (and it will require a LOT of XP to do that!) it will make more sense to continue investing in IQ so that you can do even higher level wizarding stuff, which allows ST batteries and using teams of wizards and similar ST substitutes, making a high ST worthless EXCEPT for the sake of having high ST (in which case it actually makes perfect sense that you are "Conan")

As for Conan needing too much IQ for talents...
Conan doesn't really need any of the higher IQ talents. Weapon talents are low IQ cost and prerequisite, so theres not much to worry about there. Many of the bigger things a lot of people think Conan would need are not ACTUALLY needed, though, as they are all essentially DX and ST bonuses that Conan wouldn't have/need, because what Conan ACTUALLY has is high DX and ST. By having these, he doesn't necessarily need most of those talents, as instead he can just absorb damage (replaces warrior/vet), do high damage with bigger weapons (fencing isn't needed!), always hit with the bow (missile weapons not needed), etc etc.