RE: (TFT) Wizard mods - out of balance?

I'll do that, but often let serendipity drive it.

Say said farmer rolls a 3 or 4 for a crit.
I now decide to let him fight without a penalty.

Maybe he was studying in secret.
Maybe he was well-known in the village already as someone who could potentially fight.
Maybe he has another reason (murdered family) driving him on.
Maybe he just found his inner "battle muse".
Maybe he really did just get lucky and he's too dumb to realize it.
Maybe it gave him the strength to fully throw himself into things just for this battle.

The point is, for the purposes of the current battle, <<it doesn't matter>>; he has the bonus (no penalty) and that's that.
After the battle, depending on how he did, the story can be told however it fits, often with players chiming in with suggestions and ideas.
More than one extra who has done this has become a henchman of the group.

Quantum GMing at its finest!

- Marc