(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V4 #129

At 0:38 -0400 4/17/11, TFT Digest wrote:
MA 200 ~ 120 mph b near the limits of air resistance at 1 atmosphere, see
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml for fuller treatment of that
pickle.

Cool site, *but* don't confuse "terminal velocity" with the "limits of air resistance". Terminal velocity is just how fast gravity will push something against air drag (which does depend on the object, of course - parachutes have low terminal velocity, people without them have fatally high terminal velocities, bombs can go supersonic in the upper atmosphere).

But even at the surface, muscles can be stronger than gravity for some objects (else we could never lift things). So we could in theory throw things well above terminal velocity. At atlatl or similar might easily accomplish that. Energy storage devices like bows and arrows let us project things even faster.

--
						- Mark     210-379-4635