Re: (TFT) Sports stuff

----- Original Message ----- From: "PvK"
Subject: Re: (TFT) Sports stuff

In game terms, this looks like standing around doing nothing, since the players are taking even more time than the characters, and having made their decisions during all that real-world time, they may see no in-game reason why their character shouldn't be able to act like a hyperactive Hollywood or kung fu movie character in the middle of a frenetic flurry, all the time.

Hi Peter.

I here you Sir and agree with your points.

My attempts at describing "athletics" in TFT terms isn't ment to replace something that isn't broken. I'm more intrested in those hyperactive Hollywood type characters you mention. Over the past several years the bulk of my players have little to no experience with RPG's and a few had real "nerds!" preconceptions about the whole enterprise. These folks tend to expect that Hollywood type experence and the idea of a full 5 seconds transpiring per turn is difacult to get across fully.
So there's that.

Also, there are times when dividing the "Action" down to fractions of a second is a very good "device" for dramatic play.

Over exploiting a dramatic device is obviously a bad thing but not having the option to exploit the device at all is also an issue.

Running (2) does not a Olympic sprinter make...
also recall it was swords, then soccery, THEN Talents...

Overall I think fST limits what can be attempted in a "turn" pretty well if it's better defined but again it's just "house" rules if I can't show any advantage for the rest of y'all to use my ideas...

IMO, players don't want to be "average"...

There is no "tension" w/o challange ergo above average Figures need above average challenges...

If a GM dosen't have some kind of harness on that concept then he'll need a new "Monster Manual" every so often...

Stats w/o substance rings hollow quickly in my experiance...

Then again, who am I?