(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V4 #153

At 3:00 -0400 7/24/11, Jay wrote:
Im tempted to do something like 3 MA for a distance paced crawl at normal
effort and 2 MA for the breaststroke but allowing much more additional
weight to be carried with the breaststroke than the crawl.

I would not allow the additional weight. The reason crawl is faster is *because* the head is immersed, using water to buoy it up, as opposed to the breaststroke where the head is held out of the water by swimmer's effort or by hydrodynamic lift (acting against the inclined body and inducing drag). Note that competitive breast-strokers immerse their heads as much of the time as possible, only popping it up to breathe.

Parenthetically, of modern strokes, my money is on elementary backstroke for best speed/effort as well as for load carried, but YMMV and you have to be OK wit swimming in a direction you are not looking.

Breast stroke allows swimming completely underwater which crawl does not, and in that case the "load carried" difference would disappear too (if crawl worked at all).