Re: (TFT) Stealth bonuses in combat

On Aug 5, 2011, at 11:12 AM, raito@raito.com wrote:

Joey's right, there isn't much for stealth in combat. About the only Talents that apply are Silent Movement, Acute Hearing, and Alertness. And yes, the only advantages are the DX bonuses.

Don't forget Spying! Its an important catch all for generally being able to sneak up ON people.... Silent movement tends to do more with sneaking BY people.

Here's how I'd GM it. If the elf had Silent Movement, I would rule that if he is trying to sneak up on someone, that's equivalent to a surprise attack/ambush. Assuming that no other figure could see him and raise the alarm, the victim would get a 3/IQ? roll to notice if he had Alertness (and anyone else would get that saving roll if the sneaker didn't have Silent Movement), or just know if he had Acute Hearing (I'd have to have ITL in front of me to say more, because Acute Hearing is pretty complex in terms of mechanics). As long as the victim doesn't notice, I wouldn't allow the victim to move in a way that's based on the elf being there. So the elf has a much better chance of engaging from the rear. As well, I'd allow the victim to act as if he is not engaged, but the elf could get his parting shot if he wanted to if the victim moved away.

If you are going player on player, its almost best to not even let the other player know that he is on a map at all.... let him be talking and sorting through his treasure, or whatever he is doing..... >=D

It's useful, and can be done, but isn't an auto-kill/hit like a D&D backstab, which suits me just fine.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com

Quoting Margaret Tapley <barnswallow@sbcglobal.net>:
In a campaign I'm...beginning to run, I have one guy who plays a
sneaky elf archer, and another who plays a thief with daggers. The elf in particular wants to know if he gets any bonuses in combat for being
sneaky. I don't recall any rules in ITL/AdvMelee about this, other
than DX bonuses for attacking from side/rear hexes. Any pointers?

(This campaign is utilizing some house rules, ranging from minor fixes up to a way for wizards to specialize in one type of magic, which I've
posted about before. If playtesting shows good results and/or people
are interested, I'll post those rules on here.)

- Meg