Re: (TFT) Heroes versus Jay's football pros

I had a whole rant written, then the ether ate it. Anyway... In TFT, at least for DX, any adjDX above 15 renders no advantage (other than getting to act first) to any similat DX. Yet any pro player will smoke any high school player. TFT doesn't model that accurately. And that's fine by me. I don't require reality in my system, just consistency. Also, TFT Talents are monolithic. Doing much else takes you into GURPS territory. And, finally, there's no idea of stat vs. stat in TFT. This keeps things clean and fast, but in reality it is you vs. the other guy, not you vs your DX. There's no good way to convert an attribute from TFT to something with any meaning in the real world. First off, an attribute is a composite of real world abilities. And real world abilities are an amalgam of physical ability and experience.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com

Quoting PvK <pvk@oz.net>:
Jay, I think you came off (to me, somehow, too) as saying your NFL characters
would have some level-30 attributes, which in this later post it now seems you wouldn't. I agree with the poster who said 30 is theoretical human maximum for a gifted person, more or less, and I don't remember having any human NPC's with a 30 in anything. 20 was more like the usual max for anyone except the really amazing exceptional people. Mega warriors might have up to 26 or so ST, if only to be able to have some guys using greatswords one-handed for shock and awe. Arch mages did have IQ's in the 20's.
A few heroes had DX a bit above 20. They sort of defined what the best of the
best was like. Plenty of great heroes only had one attribute above 15, and it was under 20.
I would not rate NFL players any higher than TFT heroes. More like typical
values I would expect are:

NFL running back ST 12 DX 18 IQ 11
NFL linebacker ST 18 DX 12 IQ 10
NFL quarterback ST 14 DX 17 IQ 15

Extremely strong linebacker ST 25
Extremely agile running back DX 24

They do have advanced levels of various football talents.
Jay, you seem to have even gone one level further and invented a mechanic for
keeping the attributes that low (other than aging), which I think is very cool,
i.e.: