Re: (TFT) Jobs table

On Sep 9, 2011, at 9:14 PM, Jay Carlisle wrote:

Okay this is one of those where the new mail-server seems to have thrown me
off the thread.
Who said job workers got too much character points?
In my opinion, at least, any character ending with over 50 character points just by being a farmhand at the age of 50 is getting too many.
That's just silly.
A job worker checking 52 times a year could never get close to the
experience possible for an adventurer risking (and rewarding) rolls as
quickly as 5 seconds per reward or over six and a quarter million turns per
year.
It tops out, as XP becomes harder to get but jobs often become easier to get the bonus CP for... and given that it doesn't matter how much xp you need when you get the bonus from jobs, you can reach the point (fairly quickly) where its more efficient to work than to adventure... not that this is a problem, as players don't WANT to stop adventuring... but ti does mean that long before you'll ever get another CP by adventuring you'll get it randomly at work.... so it kinda diminishes the point of XP, therefore making that aspect of the game weaker.

Also, it leads to weird interpretations of the stats that says that people with stat totals in the 40's are common.
Yes it gets a bit deeper than that but the whole concept that you can make
more character points working a job vs. adventuring is just wrong.
Metagaming left lots unfinished, and a few fundamentals needed greater
thought, but this is the system that gave D&D stuff real tactics.
The only reason I can figure to play a session of "job table rolls" is
because the GM has framed out a story that makes that session of play "fun"
for the players.
Has anyone but me rolled bunches of NPC's through the job tables till they
get old?
Yeah, we did awhile back, though maybe you were the ones supplying the numbers... In any case, it gave regular workers the sort of point highs you just usually dont' reach for the same number of years of solid adventuring... this is mostly in the later years.

The real problem with the rule has to do with XP becoming meaningless and misinterpretation of stats due to applying the jobs to NPCs.... I dont think a any GM would ever have a session of just job rolls.