Re: (TFT) Contest?

Quoting Jay Carlisle <maou.tsaou@gmail.com>:

How do you deal with people smarter than you? Are are you always the
smartest guy in the room?

Often, I am. Sometimes, I'm not. When I was a manager, it was pretty easy to deal with the guys smarter than I. A good chunk of the guys I managed now have PhD's in the string theory side of physics. One of them (the graphics guy) had pixels running in his blood. All I did was to point them in the right direction, and keep the execs off their backs as much as I could. We delivered every contract on time and under budget, and had the company's first profitable quarters in a couple years. This was in contrast to my predecessor, who just had to be the smartest guy (and it was a low bar). A lot of talent left while he was there. Anyway, the guys working for me made me look good. And there was a lot of stuff we could teach each other. I learned a lot about graphics and physics. They learned a lot about professional code development. But as for a campaign, it's still not that hard. The smart guys know that while the adventure is in some sense a collaboration between GM and player, it's the GM that sets the milieu and rules, and they don't argue that part of it. And if I make a rules mistake, either it gets repaired, or there's no harm and it's play on, or there's a reason it happened the way it did. The truly intelligent have little reason to be contentious.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com