Re: (TFT) Jobs table

I offer up my most humble opinion on this subject, fully realizing that everyone has a different "style" of play and no "one" way is the correct way.

But......

I'll never forget my first game of Traveler way back in the late seventies. A friend of mine invited me over to play this (at the time) very popular space themed RPG. He loaned me the books, I read up on the rules and created a cool character. I was really looking forward to it.

Then we started playing. The first three hours was all about how much cargo could we carry and how big a ship we needed and how far could we go to get the maximum yield for our investment. Some math nerd whipped out a calculator and started doing algebra, and two players got into an argument with the referee trying to prove that their interpretation of the economics rules were correct.

Gone were the visions of daring deeds and epic space battles ala Star Wars. I feigned a headache, thanked the referee, and left early. Much to my probable detriment I never gave Traveler another chance. It was b.o.r.i.n.g.

Maybe I was lucky but the first time I played TFT the referee did not whip out the economics tables. We didn't care that the Wizards guild would hire out an apprentice for $50 a week for a Wizard of IQ 9 or other such nonsense. Instead we played a cool adventure. I was a human fighter with a sword. I was mauled by bears. It was fun. I've been playing TFT ever since.

The point of this story is that in all honesty I, in over 30 years of playing TFT, have never even read through the economic rules more than a casual glance. IMHO they appear to be dry, counter productive to both creativity and what the game is, at heart, all about. They are simply not needed. I've often wondered why they were even put in there in the first place. (Most likely because they were trying for a complete RPG package and felt like they had to pad the rules out a bit. They were competing with D&D at the time after all.) And, for what it's worth, let me point out that Steve Jackson didn't even write the economics rules. As he mentions 75% were done by a playtester named Draper Kauffman, Jr.

The same can be said for other elements of ITL. I don't really use, nor rely on, the random stocking tables, trap tables, guilds, weight carried and I especially don't use Prootwaddles.

So, my personal style of playing TFT is probably summed up by Shakespeare: "The play's the thing". For me the economics rules don't "fit" into my style of playing TFT. If it did I might give Traveler another chance.

One last thing and I'll cease my ramble. In the market today there are RPGs - and there are board games. TFT is unique. It is, at the same time, both an RPG - and a board game. The rules are like Heroscape, or Castle Ravenloft, or some other current miniature combat game. The difference between TFT and these games is that, in RPG fashion, I can create my own characters with TFT, have input into who and what he or she is. Those other games give you set, pre-generated characters.

Why this matters is that it might explain the wide set of differences we all share. It all depends on your point of reference. Do you look at and play TFT as an RPG with miniature combat rules; or do you see it as a miniature combat game with RPG elements? Or do you, as I see it, play it as a unique hybrid of both?

I'll shut up now.

Cheers!
David O. Miller
www.meleewizards.com