(TFT) Solo-Playing the Opposition in Melee / Wizard

Gang,
I'm playing solo these days, mainly. I hope to get friends involved in Melee / Wizard as it will suit our time / energy levels. But I want to be able to lead them into it cleanly so I'm re-learning the rules. One thing I do try to do is play the enemy as best as possible. Once combat is engaged, it is likely that there are only a few sensible options. However, the initial approach to a combat can be crucial, especially considering the charge of spear-armed figures and engagement of archers. What I've tried to do is focus entirely on moving the first side according to a 'plan' they might have, and then totally switch to the other side as they "react" to their movement. When there are 2+ logical choices, I try to dice it off. Still, it is just me playing both sides, so unless I spot and exploit an error I made it is a bit predictable. Anyone have interesting ideas for keeping solo play fresh and exciting? =====