Re: Change (was: (TFT) Jobs table: ...)

Quoting Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu>:
At 14:54 -0400 9/29/11, Neil wrote:
	But I still think that the ability to use gunpowder
effectively in warfare is a good diagnostic for a certain level of
industrial development that is probably beyond the medieval level we
normally envision for our campaigns. If nothing else, getting ammo
cast to reliably fit barrels implies measurement standards,
reproducible mechanical tolerances on things cheap enough to be
expendable, and similar building blocks of mass-production that are
not consistent with the single-craftsman model of industry.

Measurement standards have been around in reliable enough form since Greece or Rome. And even if you don't believe that, Renaissance Florence had them.
	Am I completely off the beam here? My recollection is that
production-line technology and firearms were in a mutual feedback
relationship that more or less kicked off the ascent of industrial
civilization. Not so?

Well, I went out to wikipedia's article on interchangeable parts to see if my memory was intact. It was. The short bit is that modern standardization fo weapons beagn with French artillery barrels being bored to a specific size, instead of whatever was convenient for the casting. Anciently, there's quite a bit of evidence that the Romans did standardized manufacturing. Blanc's demonstration was more about showing the advantages of interchangeable parts thana ctually being able to produce them in qiantity. Similarly, Eli Whitney's version appears to be snake oil. The milling machine comes in around 1816, but by then there'd already been commercial successes in manufacturing going back a decade or two. And the first interchangeable parts arms were still finished off by hand to the tolerances required.
Anyway, here's a paragraph:

Historians differ over the question of whether Hall or North made the crucial improvement. Merrit Roe Smith believes that it was done by Hall.[20][21] Muir demonstrates the close personal ties and professional alliances between Simeon North and neighboring mechanics mass-producing wooden clocks to argue that the process for manufacturing guns with interchangeable parts was most probably devised by North in emulation of the successful methods used in mass-producing clocks.[18] It may not be possible to resolve the question with absolute certainty unless documents now unknown should surface in the future. So, if the gun method were emutaling thsoe for clocks, the whole arms race thing kinda falls apart. At least we do know that mass manufacturing as we know it today begins later in the 1800's. I'll end with saying that the single-craftsman model as I think you mean it effectively didn't exist since the Roman Empire. For an example, read the autobiography ofBenvenuto Cellini. He's a goldsmith,but his shop guys do 95% of the work.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com