Re: Change (was: (TFT) Jobs table: ...)

I never said a negative result is a failure. My point is actually kinda about that. A scientist isn't sitting around just making weapons that no one else can make with relative ease, which is basically what a researching wizard is doing.

Its apples and oranges, magic and science have little in common.

Another way to view it, using a commonly known story: Edison once said something along the lines of learning a thousand ways how not to make a light bulb (or something similar). Thats useful knowledge, especially towards the end goal of making a light bulb (you find out other important stuff through research on accident, too, though).

A wizard trying to make a magical light producer (much like a light bulb) doesn't really go through the same process. He uses some energy (ST) to produce an effect that he has been taught how to make or 'learned' how to make (which may or may not be through experimentation, but I doubt the wizard just sits around thinking up words and trying them... the implication is more that he uses willpower and intelligence to make what he wants happen, and, once he is capable of doing that, its easier for him to do it again).

Arguably a wizard's way of thinking has less in common with science and more in common with greek philosophy (Well, the way of thinking practiced by some more famous greek philosophers...), where one would just think things through and try to come up with solutions based upon what he thought made sense... but without actually testing that theory (sometimes because it can't really be tested).

In other words, those thousand studied possibilities never produced a light bulb (good info), but for the magician he goes through a rather different process- he doesn't learn so much about the world, he just is now capable of making light bulbs. He's a skilled artisan, not a scientist.

Now, it might work differently in different settings, but in baseline TFT it says that magicians say different words, do different things, etc, all for the same effects... it has more to do with doing your own ritual, whatever it is for you, to build up your own energy, willpower, whatever, so that you can do your thing.... its not a science, at all, basically, its just magic.

So, basically, which is more useful in practical terms if you want a bomb? A scientist who has to invent a bomb from scratch, having never heard of any of the materials necessary, or a wizard who, just by energy and willpower, needs to just think 'boom' and make it so...

Don't misinterpret that as insulting science in anyway, I love science, some of my best friends are sciences (looking at you, physics), but in a magical setting, a scientist and a magician are very different beings, and the magician is quicker at getting similar results (though at the high end most wizards can't even think up the many technologies we've developed through science, so there is a short term vs. long term thing going on there).