Re: (TFT) scaled stats

**One way to work onthis, which is "realistic" but also pleasing to the players, is that instead of them playing just a single character, they represent a "house" or a "family" that are working together to become more secure / rich / powerful, etc. When a character gets knocked off, you roll to see who will be the next "VIP" of the House D'Amberville or whatever and work on it. Other important members can be NPCs. It is interesting as player's houses will develop interesting characteristics and legends. In many ways it is more fun than just running a character. I'm certain that there are any number of RPGs who've worked this out somewhere. GURPS probably has a number of modules where this might work.

I think in most
medieval/renaissance settings, the characters would get kacked before they
can "make it to the top".  But sure, you should give them a fighting chance.

Yes, and you have to allow for the inevitable success.
I remember it used to be hard to survive the first few encounters in Ultima
but after that it used to be hard to die if you had any patience.
The Warrior Lords module had a combat for leadership blurb but no method for
handling leadership if the player Figure actually won.
Bad idea IMO.