Re: Change (was: (TFT) Jobs table: ...)

Ah, magic reduces the need for industry, but by its nature (not being a science anyone can easily just 'do,' more like a special craft) it can't really become AN industry, it just has similar effects to, in particular, early industries... so we never advance because the guy who starts burning coal just looks like a fool even though it'd actually be more useful.

However, I think the general idea that history is always a general progress upwards has been sorta disinherited by historians, so I could also see that things just stay at a similar level in most ways just because they never happened to have the right exact circumstances for an industrial revolution.
On Oct 2, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Dan Tulloh wrote:

Could also be that the presence of magic reduces the need for industry.

Magic also reduces the need for other things : you don't need to learn
how to predict the weather when magic can control it; you don't need
to learn how to mine coal when magic can make things so much hotter;
etc, etc. In this way, magic becomes a crutch that actually impedes the advancement of technology, even though technology can actually
make things more reliable.

I doubt this notion would be popular within the Wizard's Guild ...

----- Original Message ----- From: <raito@raito.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: Change (was: (TFT) Jobs table: ...)

Quoting Margaret Tapley <barnswallow@sbcglobal.net>:
By the way, does anyone else wonder why Cidri technology doesn't
develop any further than it has?
I put it down to 2 things:
1 We don't know when the Mnoren disappeared. It could be that Cidri is still in its 'Dark Ages', and just hasn't got there yet. 2 Because any set of roleplay rules are abstractions, and because abstractions break when underlying assumptions break, it's not very possible for technology to advance without breaking the TFT rules. We already know that the rules don't scale very well, and high technology probably breaks them further. Neil Gilmore
-----
No virus found in this message.