Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 1:23 PM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Daily Life...

Quoting gem6868 <gem6868@verizon.net>:
Tolkein was writing mythical history, to replace the "lost / suppressed"
Anglo-Saxon tales the Normans squashed as part of their takeover.   He
didn't regard it as the equal of "history" as Barbara Tuchman writes, or a
(respectable) university might present as a major. However, your statement
that you consider Tolkein = history makes it easier for me to comprehend
some of your posts.

I probalby don't mean what you think. When I say Tolkein was writing
histories, I don't mean that the events were real, but that the voice
he uses is a historian's voice. That's why you see him doing things
like explaining everything, etc. His point of view is removed from the
action.

The difference might be
seen in GURPS v. TFT.  Steve Jackson seems to have wanted to ground his
system more in "reality as we know it", but that may only be b/c he intended GURPS from the beginning to be universal, and therefore you can role-play an
historical supplement, a fantasy supplement, or one like "GURPS Greece"
where you choose btw mythic Greece and historical Greece. Having been away
from TFT for a good solid 25+ years the style difference is much more
noticeable to me, and that's part of what makes it so retro-fun.

From those who I know who know him, the prime impetus for GURPS was
that he couldn't afford to buy back TFT, and that TFt would have become
universal if he had been able to do so.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com