Re: (TFT) Howard Thompson & TFT

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 16:13:14 -0400
Cris Fuhrman <fuhrmanator@gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on some facts I found on the web, Dark City Games bought the
> trademark to The Fantasy Trip when it lapsed...

Quite true.  While I'm not a lawyer, I learned a lot about copyright
and trademark law from having to defend my domain name.

In short, once you've copyrighted a work, that's it.  You're protected
for the length of the copyright (currently life of the author + 70 years).
Trademark is very different.  Even though you may have registered a
trademark, you must defend it or lose it.  HT may have lost the trademark
on "The Fantasy Trip" but all the works remain under copyright.