Re: (TFT) Death Test 1, take 4: SURVIVED!

Nice point, one doesn't need to be an expert to note where obvious laws of physics come into play. In Neil's fantasy world, the pole arm is a super-weapon. The nice thing about gaming is that none of us needs to subscribe to that particular fantasy. Even if he was historically correct, and he's not, I'd still minimize the overall benefits and put into the mechanics the many disadvantages of pole arms just for the sake of variety, it keeps the game interesting.

-----Original Message----- From: dwtulloh61@cox.net
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 1:50 PM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Death Test 1, take 4: SURVIVED!

I can see how a two-handed hafted weapon (axe, hammer, quarterstaff, pole
arm would be good at parrying a swing from a sword, but what about a thrust?
That would seem to be where it is the weakest at parrying, since it becomes
more of a timing issue than blocking a swing.

Since TFT doesnt differentiate between swings and thrusts, it would make
sense to me that these kinds of weapons have an overall lower rating to
parry.

But ... I am not a medieval scholar, I don't play one on TV, blah blah, blah blah.

---- raito@raito.com wrote:
Quoting gem6868 <gem6868@verizon.net>:
> Thanks for your agreement, demonstrated below, that saves me from > further
> citations.

Not really. You still haven't shown how you know that the polearm is
slower and less adept at aprrying than a sword. Nor have I said
anything other than the medieval masters appear to consider the sword
in two hands as most flexible. And most flexible certainly isn't meant
to mean that the polearm isn't super (though I haven't asserted that it
is).

> > To the point at hand, the pole arm wasn't a super-weapon in real life. > > It
> > was slower and less adept at parrying than a sword.
>
> And you need to cite how you know that's true. I say it's not true
> because the masters of the period, and period accounts, show it to be
> false.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com