Re: (TFT) Howard Thompson versus Steve Jackson

Why so much Howard Thompson hate? If a rule is a good rule, who cares who it came from?

It's pretty clear to me that Steve Jackson did not properly playtest TFT. Or, if he did, that he did not adequately listen to the feedback. In my opinion, that automatically disqualifies him for the pedastal most people on this list place him on.

Melee/Wizard/TFT are my favorite muscle-powered age of warfare miniature skirmish rules. Sadly, every version has a hole in it that is easily exploitable and skews what it is trying to model. If everyone agrees not to exploit that hole, it works great. But if anyone starts trying to work the system, it has to be house ruled or the game falls apart. That saddens me because I don't feel I can ever just put a copy of the rules on the table and say "we're playing this", without qualifications.

Why does that matter? Because house rules are subjective. Just look at the current debate about the historical accuracy of the dominance of pole weapons. I think they dominated. Others are equally adament that they didn't. How could we possibly agree on a house rule to address pole weapons? We have opposite points of view on what the model should try and simulate. So all we can fall back on is the rules as written. And if those rules have an imbalance, the game falls apart and we have to move on to (shudder) Warhammer or something.