Re: (TFT) Howard Thompson versus Steve Jackson (and Pole Weapons)

Quoting PvK <pvk@oz.net>:
PvK: In the specific case of the 3-hex charge requirement, I just think it's a sloppy attempt to nerf pole weapons. I think it's sloppy because I don't think

Interestingly, I have an example from an SCA Crown Tournament last weekend. Sure, they're not really killing each other, it's only sticks, blah, blah. Anyway, The two gentlemen were fighting with 6 foot polearms, and began their engagement at jabbing range (meaning that they couldn't effectively cut, but could thrust)). Now, this is another of those real vs. game oddities. If hexes are about 4 feet across, then these guys really just had a single hex in between them. One of them got off what TFT would call a charge attack (the opponent tried to thrust at the face, had that blow set aside by the principal, who covered the distance and successfully struck back). Actually, in TFT terms they probably ended up in the same hex (briefly), which would be HTH, but I digress. Anyway, this charge attack was made with the butt end of the weapon, and struck in the chest. It literally picked a guy who is 6'4" up off his feet and threw him back. Unfortunately, it was the guy I was coaching at the time. Knocked him out of the tournament. Or maybe the other guy just rolled a 3.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com