If he hits he does double damage.
If he misses, then it is the Sword's turn, who may attack still.
Next turn things work as if both are acting normally.
On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:39 PM, gem6868 wrote:

Physically the critical moment for any weapon, but especially a longer one, is the parry. If someone parries your spear / pole axe / pike whatever then once they are inside your guard you are dead meat unless you've a dagger or are willing to try hand to hand (or running). The idea that a polearm always strikes first is unrealistic and unbelievable. First strike isn't about length, it's about speed and agility. If you're slow, it doesn't matter what you're armed with. Do you believe that a DX8 character in plate should automatically swing before a DX 15 character with a rapier? I just can't. That snail should be an easy target.

I like the +1d6 idea better than doubling, also.

-----Original Message----- From: PvK
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:11 PM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Howard Thompson versus Steve Jackson (and Pole Weapons)

I like the +1 die versus doubling suggestion too, which I think is also an ancient house rule (did it even make it into Interplay? I think maybe it did).

I don't like removing the first-strike, because I think it makes so much physical sense, though I think the charge situation wouldn't always apply, hence the suggestion I made.

--- hulkasgt@yahoo.com wrote:

In my own opinion, the only real change you need to make to Pole Weapons in Advanced Melee is to eliminate the rule that they always act first when involved in a charge. Per my experience, that brings everything back in balance, and brings Dex back to its important place in character builds.

That said, I do like David O. Miller's house rule about adding a set number of dice to a charge instead of doubling the dice. It gives those guys in plate mail at least a fighting chance to survive.