Re: (TFT) Magic Carpets and Brooms

Jay,
I can't recall us using a ground scale or time for each turn.
The game was scaled for playability using mainly Airfix and Revell kits
(1/72 scale).

I mainly took the data from Kenneth Munson's pocket encyclopedias of
world aircraft in colour.
A wonderful collection I still have and enjoy browsing.
Les Ward is/was a great enthusiast of WW1 aircraft among other things
and had his own well stocked library.
So we had some well informed discussion on the ratings for various
aircraft.

When I added new aircraft, I tended to work on 1000 feet for each
heightband, and 10 mph for each MP.
These were generalised or rounded down for aircraft in combat
conditions.
Climb, Dive and Acceleration rates were derived from commentry in KM's
aircraft notes.
e.g. Sopwith triplanes could climb like a rocket.
Pfalz's were exceptional divers, some other aircraft had a nasty
tendancy to fold their wings if pushed too fast. etc.
To some extent we might have over-emphasised the difference between
various aircraft.
Historically improvements in aircraft performance were fairly subtle at
this scale.
But Pilots tended to push their aircraft to the limit out of neccesity.

The survival dice rolls for landing an aircraft may seem rather harsh.
But you should take into context that they are crash landing in
No-Mans-Land and were likely to be shelled and machine gunned by both
sides!

If a pilot flew off the table alive, they were assumed to land safely
behind their own lines and could fly again in the next game.
The club campaign grew very popular, with players customising their own
aircraft.
Snoopy's Sopwith Pup was always a popular choice and we had no end of
Red Barons!
I quite liked the two seaters and did surprising well (luck mainly!)
flying an RE8 or Roland Walfish.

Regards,

Chris - Rat-a-tat-a-tat!

--