(TFT) Iron & magic

So WHY is it that you can cast a spell on a steel sword just fine, but if you try to tote that sword around and cast a spell while holding it, you get massive DX penalties? This has been bugging me for years.

The game mechanic behind it is obvious - it enforces wizardly squishiness* while not sending the price of magic weapons through the roof - but the in-world explanation just isn't there. Has anyone come up with any theories? Or is it just one of those things we'll never know, like how the heck the Mnoren built Cidri in the first place?

*http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquishyWizard

Actually, I have an idea about Cidri. If you can jump between worlds, you might be able to learn to jump between times as well. So all you have to do, at least in theory, is dump a big, hot wad of material in orbit around a likely star, and wait for it to coalesce into a planet. Come back a couple million years later, seed it with life, pop forward another million years...

It would be more complicated with some of the models that people have talked about in the archive (hollow spheres, etc.). You'd have to use something like remote-controlled nanobots to build the shape out of...something really strong. Titanium-carbon fiber composite, I don't know. But I digress - and should probably go get some sleep...

- Meg