Re: (TFT) new player wants an attack worthy animal...

At 0:57 -0400 3/21/12, Brett wrote:
When I played a GURPS version of this character, inns and cities were
a problem. Being a wolf, my character's companion was able to take
care of themselves in the woods outside of any inn my character might
stay in. And my character tended to not go to cities very often. When
we did, the wolf just stayed out of town until he came out.

Brett's suggestion is good, but with a few more variants to blind-side the character:

1) Owner forgets to make proper provisions.
Wolf Owner: "We walk into the tavern..."
GM: "Everyone in the tavern yells, draws, and lunges toward your wolf."
WO: "Oh, he's not with us!"
GM: "You didn't prearrange that. The tavern patrons get initiative."

2) Vet bills.
GM: "Ok, this morning your wolf has very loose stools and vomiting. He's also looking a little "peaked". What do you do?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammatory_bowel_disease

3) Unfair accusations.
GM: "Farmer Dale's chicken coop was broken into last night. He wants you to pay for the chickens your wolf ate."

	It occurs to me that a similar approach might work for lizard men.

1) Cold-bloodedness.
GM: "It's 0300 and you hear some noise in the brush. Oh, by the way, it's cold and the lizard man cannot move or awaken."

2) Reptilian defense mechanisms.
GM: "OK, you disengage from HTH ... leaving your tail."

3) ...
GM: "Your throat flaps start swelling. She doesn't look that cute to anyone else, FWIW..."

4) Subtle dietary requirements.
GM: "The quiche in the inn tonight is spinach."
Players: "We all dig in!"
GM: "Fine."
GM: "The lizard man, since the spinach is interfering with calcium uptake in his intestine, has a splitting headache, heart palpitations, and tremors; -6 adjDX. Oh, and the bandits are breaking down the door."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uromastyx (see "Nutrition")

	Hope this helps.
--
						- Mark     210-379-4635