Re: (TFT) Stealth again, and music

On Apr 20, 2012, at 4:07 PM, raito@raito.com wrote:

Same. I've always been attracted to the whole Stealth style of play...
the problem in most pen and paper RPGs is that its not very
interesting. Roll a die to see if you succeed, keep going if you do.

This is not my experience. The 'stealth style' has more to do with making
sure you don't have to roll, than by being bored by having to roll.
Exactly my point.

Many think it'd be impossible to make it interesting because, unlike a
video game, there is not that instant tension and interaction between
the guards and the stealthy player.

I'm not one of the many.
Same; the point is that many GMs (at least ones I've had when I tried to play stealthy characters) basically didn't let me. Best they'd do would be occasionally having a situation where my character could choose to roll a few times to get by guards instead of fighting them... which was usually pointless because the rest of the group would end up coming in and fighting them.

On the other hand I once ran a campaign where all the characters were members of the criminal element in a large city (very Thief-esque). Because the whole campaign was geared for stealth play the whole thing was actually fun-- easily the best campaign I've ever run. Instead of just allowing them to roll to sneak instead of roll to hit, I based the whole thing around exploring the area stealthily (with the help of shadows and such-- stealth games require a lot of attention to detail, both for parts of the puzzle and for the actual act of sneaking), figuring out the puzzle (where your objectives are, what they are, who's guarding where and when, the routes of guards, etc), and then acting upon the puzzle to, hopefully, get through the whole thing without anyone knowing you were ever there.
You need to not have too much knowledge of where you are sneaking...
at the most, lay out of the building/terrain. You should not know
where all the guards are or how many of them you'll see, at least not
usually. There should be multiple ways to each objective. Generally
you must stumble on these ways.

If you're stumbling, then you're playing stupid. You need as much
information as you can get, and then you need to put it toegether. That's
the interesting part.

You misunderstand. Yes you want to get info before going in, but once you go in its all about exploring and finding out the parts of the puzzle, then figuring it out. You basically have to stumble upon those parts of the puzzle by exploring, though-- if you can figure it all out before going into the castle or whatever, then its less interesting.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com