Re: (TFT) Aimed Shots

Ok. I took a breath.   You make some good points. What you are saying
essentially is to reward characters for their character designs, which I
agree with.

I must say in the many years ive been playing this, I never considered
aimed shots.  I dont know why. I guess im not adventurous. I dont recall it
ever coming up. I guess I always thought that a -6 will never hit, mostly
because i tend to not min/max/munchkin my characters. I tend to build my
characters aesthetically. Maybe thats why they die young (and stay pretty).

Head shots are double only after armor: some one in leather armor doesnt
have their face covered.  Likewise for cloth and chain. Chain is even
easier for those nitty little arrows to puncture, even with silk
underneath. If you apply armor  armor, then there will never be the 5 point
damage required to take out an enemy. If you look at the rules you will
find, that it takes 5 to cause an enemy to fall down unconscious.

The math:
bow dam: 1d+1.   avg roll 4.5. player rolled 4, 5, 6 for damage.   That
mean that he took out 3 opponents on 2 turns.  If you appy armor of 1 or 2
or 3 (or 4) there is no chance of knocking out an opponent, so why do the
head shot at all?

The solution really is there for to take out aimed shots.  Also remember
that the rule is in as an optional rule. If i leave the rule in, I will
have to up the number of baddies to balence the combat out. Since I can
predict that at least 1 baddie will go unconscious per turn by the archer
alone, because of a double shot 1d6+1, to the head. That makes the fight
artificially longer.

During those 2 combats, the archer took out 1/3 of the baddies in the
module in the first combat, which is more than the CombatMonster (mbt)
lizard man.
With these 2 fighting there is little reason to have any others fighting,
since the wizard can also through a 3d6-3 fire ball the first round of
every combat and also take out a guy.

I am trying to prevent an arms escalation condition.   In  hero games this
escalation is typical. As a matter of fact if I recall GURPS 3rd edition
has a similiar problem with Dex based skills becoming an arms race
condition also. Im just trying to keep the balence, and its up to the game
master to try to negotiate damage maxes and to hit maxs, while at the same
time providing the character the ability to feel heroic, not constant
FAILS.  If the party wins out quickly in every combat, it takes away some
of the suspense that is built into the game to make it fun.

Not every combat should be a milk run. Dead. Dead. Dead, next round. Dead
dead dead... combat over.. next combat.... next game... after a few is just
not fun.

In retrospect, I should have not allowed the Lizard man and the optional
aimed shot rules in the first place.   The game works very well with the
base rules and races that are in place.
But, then again, Im still open to being convinced otherwise.