Re: (TFT) How good is 32 points?

So far the idea is untested.
None of my players got to the point where they wanted to spend Exp on
improving their talents rather than improving their attributes.
Also, I'm not at all sure how such high level players would earn enough
experience for multiple levels in a talent under TFT rules.

We had only one player character with 40+ Attribute total.

When they get to the point where they need 1000+ Exp to improve an
atribute, then it may be worth-while using some of those Exp to improve
a talent or spell.

You could also increase the cost for improved levels in a talent.
+1 same cost as obtaining the talent;
+2 double cost;
+3 triple cost...

There was also an option to modify the cost of a talent/spell by the IQ
of the character.
This would also let a character acquire a talent higher than their IQ at
a considerable cost in Exp.

Regards,

Chris

--
  Chris Nicole
  chris_nicole@operamail.com

On Fri, May 25, 2012, at 02:35 PM, raito@raito.com wrote:
> > Also, I let characters improve a talent or spell they already know.
> > This is most effective for weapon talents.
> > e.g. a single level of improvement; Axe / Mace +1 gives the PC +1 to hit
> > and damage (and parry/block too).
>
> This is eventually unbalancing, as those +1's accumulate over time. If I
> only ever use a particular weapon, I may as well spend my 140 pts. in
> levels after a point, and make that mace do 2D6-1 + all my levels. Not to
> mention that eventually armour becomes nearly useless. there's a reason
> that the later attribute points cost more XP.
>
> (And yes, eventually under stock rules,. you're better off using a club
> as
> the damage is based on ST)
>
> (And if you're buying lots of levels with a weapon, you're spending too
> much time fighting...)
>
> I allow Fencing on most melee weapon talents as a higher level of skill.
>
> Mostly, I don't think that charcters need vast lists of Talents or
> Spells.
> If they need that, then it's clear that they play the character sheet,
> and
> not the character (one of the problems with most DND).
>
> It's my feeling that the stock rules allow for a very great variation in
> characters as it is, without having to let them have piles of different
> skills. It's quite possible to have great characters with 4 or 5
> Talents/Spells.
>
> That said, I'd certainly entertain the idea of having a chatacter
> research
> a Talent that uses a weapon better.
>
> Neil Gilmore
> raito@raito.com