Re: (TFT) Politics ramblings

If we're looking at the origins of governments on Cidri, then I would imagine it's a lot like it's happened on Earth many, many times through the centuries: - Guy with Charisma, New Followers, Diplomacy, Tactics and (maybe) Strategy gets ambitious. - He builds a strong core of followers, who are loyal to him and him only, through his Charisma and New Followers talents. - He uses Diplomacy to keep his neck out of the noose, at least in the early stages before he's built a powerful support base. - When enough people are loyal to him, he kicks out any pre-existing government and sets up a new one. The weaker the old government, the easier this is. - He keeps control of his new governmnt partly through the continued loyalty of his followers (who may become his lieges in a newly-created feudal system), and partly through threat of force. - If the ruler survives long enough in his position of power, he can choose his successor (historically, often his own son), and teach them how to run things in his absence. - With time and propaganda, the people come to believe in the power, majesty, divine right, etc. of the new ruler.

Famous Earth people that used this tactic, or a modification of it, include Napoleon, Hitler (and several other 20th century dictators), Charles Martel (grandfather of Charlemagne), and Julius Caesar.

There are, of course, many possible variations on this. Maybe the people will get tired of letting the king have all the power, and decide to make him answer to a council, Parliament, or Senate, as happened in Greece, Rome, England, several other European countries, and the U.S. (okay, so the U.S. did away with kings altogether, but still).

And then there are the exceptions. Roman rulers were elected by the people from pretty much the very beginning, until Julius Caesar took over. George Washington could have pulled this without even trying, but decided not to. The first king England was king of Wessex first, and before that his ancestors were just king of one tribe. I would guess one gets to be king of a tribe using a somewhat gentler version of the above strategy, though.